Arranging your marriage, giving notice of your attention to marry, and costs and fees information.
If you wish to marry in Doncaster you may do so either by civil or religious ceremony.
Arranging your marriage at Doncaster Register Office
Making a Provisional Booking
- Please contact us to ensure our ceremony rooms and a Registrar are available on your preferred date for marriage.
- A non-refundable payment of £25.00 is required to provisionally book your chosen date at the Register Office
- We have 2 packages available for ceremonies held by Doncaster Registration Service
The standard service is as follows:
- Bride and groom enter the ceremony together
- Registrar to select music
- Standard ceremonies are held at the Civic Office on Wednesdays only for the bride and groom and 2 witnesses.
- We offer an upgrade to a standard 'plus' ceremony on a Tuesday afternoon in Priory Suite for up to 30 guests.
What is a premium service?
The premium service is as follows:
- Preliminaries with bride and groom conducted separately, so that bride and groom do not see each other before the ceremony
- Use of the enhanced ceremony room which has a central aisle for the bride and the person giving her away to enter down
- Extended ceremony
- Optional enhancements such as reading/s by a guest
- Couple to select their own music for during the ceremony
- The 2 rooms available are the Great Kitchen which holds 40 guests and has access to a secluded courtyard for photographs, or the Priory Suite which holds 50 guests.
Open mornings at Priory Place are taking place on the following dates between 10am and 12 noon for people to drop in and see the venue and its rooms.
Sunday 20th Jan
Sunday 24th March
Sunday 19th May
Sunday 21st July
Sunday 22nd Sept
Sunday 24th November
See photos of our premium service venue
For photos of the beautiful new registry office at Priory Place, visit our image gallery.
Arranging your marriage at an approved premise in Doncaster
Making a Provisional Booking
- Please contact us to ensure a Registrar is available to perform your wedding ceremony at the venue of your choice on your preferred date.
- You will also need to make arrangements with the venue of your choice to secure your chosen date.
- A non-refundable payment of £25.00 is required to provisionally book the Registrar to attend at the venue of your choice on your selected date
Arranging your marriage elsewhere
A religious ceremony can take place at a Church or Chapel of the Church of England or Church in Wales, or at any other place of worship that has been formally registered for marriages by the Registrar General.
It is the decision of the religious order governing a church as to whether they participate in same sex marriages. Please consult the minister of the religious building for advice.
If you wish to be married in any of the Church of England churches in Doncaster, you should first speak to the Vicar. If he is able to marry you, he will arrange for the marriage announcement (banns) or a common licence to be issued. The marriage will be registered by the Vicar.
If you wish to marry in any of the other places of religious worship in Doncaster, you should first arrange to see the person who deals with marriages at the place of worship.
If the place of worship requires a Registrar to attend to register the marriage, please contact us to ensure a Registrar is available. The fee for this is £90 and includes one marriage certificate.
Fees for a Registrar attending at a place of worship are required to be paid at least one calendar month before the ceremony.
Ceremony held in another district
If you live in Doncaster but are having your ceremony held in another district by their Registrar (either being held in the Register Office or at an Approved Premise), you will still need to give your notice of intending to marry in Doncaster.
Ceremony being held abroad
If you are having your ceremony abroad, different countries have different requirements on the legal documentation that you will need to produce. Please contact us to discuss what is needed in your specific situation with one of our Registrars.
Giving notice of your intention to marry
Notice of your intention to marry must be given in person to your local Superintendent Registrar by both parties. You must have both lived in the Doncaster registration district for at least seven days immediately before giving notice. Please contact us to book this appointment, these appointments are held Monday to Friday between the hours of 9am and 3.20pm. The fee for Giving Notice (£35 each) is payable when you book your appointment. If you live outside the Doncaster district, please contact the Superintendent Registrar that is local to your place of residence.
Notice can be given no earlier than 12 months of your wedding date and no less than 29 full days before it and we need to know the venue that you are getting married at. A Notice of Marriage is valid for one year.
If you are under the age of eighteen you will need the consent of your parents or guardian
The documents that are required when giving notice
- For both parties, a current valid full passport is preferred.
- If you do not hold a current valid full passport, and in consultation with the Superintendent Registrar, your EEA national identity card or your UK birth certificate may be acceptable. Please note, if you were born after 1st January 1983 you will need your full birth certificate (showing parents’ names) and also your mother’s birth certificate to prove your nationality or you can provide your father’s birth certificate with a copy of your parents’ marriage certificate.
- If previously married, the original Decree Absolute issued by the court (not a photocopy) or if widowed, your former partner’s death certificate (if you are not named on the certificate we will also need to see a copy of your marriage certificate)
- Any Change of Name documentation
- In addition to either your passports or birth certificates and details of previous marriage or name change if these apply to you, you also need to provide a form of identity showing both parties current address/es. This should be any of the following:-
- A valid UK driving license for each party or,
- a bank statement for each party (dated within 1 month) or,
- a utility bill for each party or one in joint names (dated within 3 months) or,
- a Council Tax bill in joint names (dated within 1 year)
If you do not have any of these documents, please contact us before your appointment to discuss what other documents will be acceptable.
If either you, or the person you are intending to marry, are a citizen of a country outside the European Economic Area, you can only give your notice of intention to marry at a Register Office designated by the Home Office. The nearest designated office to Doncaster is:
Sheffield Register Office
Sheffield S1 2HH
Telephone: 0114 203 9423
You may still have your marriage in Doncaster but Sheffield Register Office will issue your Notice of Intention to Marry.
We have a statutory duty to report any marriage we suspect has been arranged for the sole purpose of evading legal immigration controls.
Costs and fees
Costs and fees
Prices (subject to review from April 2019)
Register Office ceremonies: Prices subject to review every April
Price include one marriage certificate
Standard Ceremony at the Civic Office (2 guests)
**only available on Wednesday**
Standard 'plus' ceremonies at Priory Suite (up to 30 guests)
**only available on Tuesday afternoon**
Premium Ceremony - prices depend on the room chosen and ceremony day
Great Kitchen - Thurs (40 guests)
Great Kitchen - Friday and Saturday (40 guests)
Priory Suite - Thurs (50 guests)
Priory Suite - Friday and Saturday (50 guests)
£250 (£350 Saturday pm)
£200 (£300 Saturday pm)
Registrars attendance at an approved premise: Prices subject to review every April
|Price include one marriage certificate|
Monday to Thursday
Sunday and Bank Holidays
|Registrars attendance at religious venue: Prices subject to review every April||Price include one marriage certificate|
|Monday to Saturday||£90.00|
Please note: Fees for Register Office ceremonies are required to be paid at least 1 full calendar month prior to the ceremony, ideally at the time of giving notice
For further information, please contact us:
- email: email@example.com
- tel: 01302 735222
- address: Births, Deaths & Marriages Registration, The Register Office, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU
- Wording of basic marriage ceremony
- Download (13KB - DOCX)
- Wording of short marriage ceremony
- Download (14KB - DOCX)
- Wording of full marriage ceremony
- Download (14KB - DOCX)
- Wording of premium marriage ceremony
- Download (15KB - DOCX)