Direct Payments For Adults

Information about Direct Payments, what you can use them for and how you can get them.

What are Direct Payments?

  • They are payments which Doncaster Council makes to you, so that you can buy your own care and support services instead of us arranging them for you.
  • You can choose the support you want to and have control over how your needs are met.
  • You can use the payments to be more independent but you will have a responsibility to look after your payments.
  • You can get help to look after your direct payments.

Who can receive Direct Payments?

You can get direct payments if you need help with everyday things to stay healthy and safe.

What can you use a direct payment for?

Examples of how Direct Payments have been used in Doncaster in the past are:-

  • To employ a Personal Assistant (PA) with personal care 
  • For short breaks and respite 
  • To access social activities 
  • To accompany and support with shopping or domestic tasks 
  • Support to carry out parenting duties
  • To buy day-care
  • To buy equipment

Please remember that the support plan you complete with your social care worker will be used to identify how you want to spend your direct payment

Why choose a Direct Payment?

  • You can be more independent. 
  • You have more control in your life. 
  • You can make your own decisions. 
  • You choose who helps you manage your money 
  • You decide who gives you the support you need.
  • You have more flexibility and choice

How do I get a Direct Payment?

You can discuss this with your social care worker if you have one or you can get in touch with our Direct Payment Support Team:

Someone will see if you are eligible for support and if you can manage a direct payment.

You can have the direct payment paid into an Instant Access Account.

You will have a Direct Payment card which is like a bank payment card.

You manage this money and use it to buy your support.

It is not a credit card – you cannot get into debt.

You can also have the direct payment paid directly to an organisation who specialise in direct payments.

They manage this money and are responsible for making payments on your behalf.

Will I need to pay anything myself?

You will be a given a financial assessment first. Then you may be asked to pay for some of the services.

What do direct payments involve?

Most people can manage a direct payment with the right support and information.

Your money is to help make your life better and your social care worker will plan the support you need to make this happen.

You will need to keep records and receipts to show how you have spent your direct payments.

You do not have to do this on your own. You will get as much help and support as you need from:

  • A Social Care Worker 
  • Direct Payment Support Team 
  • Family or friends 
  • Paid organisations

Employing a Personal Assistant

If you choose to employ your own personal assistant there are some things you may want some help with.

Help to look for the right person who will help you with your support plan

Help with contracts, safety checks, insurance and keeping records.

Keeping Records

Help with your money, paying bills and keeping records.

What can’t direct payments be used for?

The law says you cannot spend the money on:

  • Household bills 
  • Things that are against the law (like gambling)


After 6-8 weeks a social care worker will check with you that everything is going well.

We will then discuss with you how well you are managing. 

You do not have to have Direct Payments. A Social Care Worker can still take care of things for you. Some people decide to use direct payments for some things and ask a social worker to sort the rest.

If you decide to try out direct payments, you can still change your mind just let us know.

Contact us

Contact us for help and support:

Last updated: 18 October 2018 12:43:03