Covid-19 Update- Please note that due to current Covid-19 restrictions, it may not be possible to offer opportunities across Doncaster Council. It is hoped placements will resume as soon as it is safe to do so. Please check site regularly for updates.
The council is committed to offering consistently high-quality placements for work experience, internships and volunteering opportunities.
We want to ensure that people seeking development have a good quality experience and are supported to get the most out of their experience.
Doncaster Council's Work Experience Placement scheme is accredited by a quality standard organisation called Fair Train, for which we have a Gold accolade.
At Doncaster Council, Work Experience is offered on an unpaid basis and typically lasts for 2-4 weeks, although varying lengths may be considered.
What is work experience, volunteering and internships?
Work experience placements are an ideal way for people to gain an understanding of the world of work and to develop a range of skills and knowledge which they will find invaluable in their future. For the council, work experience placements help us to help individuals, whatever their background, to recognise the core skills required for particular job roles. Work experience placements provide participants with a general understanding of a work setting over a short period of time.
They can only be used for students working as a required part of a UK-based further or higher education course if the placement doesn't exceed 1 year, students who are of compulsory school age or a placement that does not involve any work being performed, such as work shadowing where someone is only there to observe. Work experience can also be provided to participants in government schemes or programmes which are approved by HR&OD.
People may have various motivations to volunteer at the council, such as philanthropy, personal, gain experience, update skills, or career development. Volunteering should be used for any other placement such as school leavers or older workers requiring work experience.
Internships are educational and career developmental opportunities providing practical experience in a field or discipline. They are structured, short-term, supervised placements often focused around particular tasks or projects with defined timescales.
Opportunities available and how do I apply? **Covid-19 Update- Please note that due to current Covid-19 restrictions, it may not be possible to offer opportunities across Doncaster Council. It is hoped placements will resume as soon as it is safe to do so. Please check site regularly for updates**.
Please see below the 'Work Experience Bulletin' which details the work experience opportunities we currently have available. If you cannot find an opportunity you are interested in within this bulletin, please complete an application form, specifying what you are interested in and we will try our best to accommodate your request.
Please send all completed application forms to WEPRequests@doncaster.gov.uk
- Work Experience Bulletin
- Download (5.26MB - PPTX)
- Work Experience Application form
- Download (35KB - DOCX)
What else do I need to know?
- Doncaster Council's public liability insurance covers those individuals on placements within the council.
- Data Protection training - It is a legal requirement that the appropriate Data Protection training is carried out. You will be made aware of this during your induction.
- Disclosure & Barring Service Checks (DBS) - for some placements it may be appropriate to complete a Criminal Records Check, known as a DBS check. You will be advised if a DBS is required and it must be in place before the placement can begin.
- Further clearances - where a business area is subject to inspection there may be additional checks and documentation which need to be in place and kept on file. You will be advised if this is required.
- Hours & Rest Break - Will be mutually agreed However, a minimum break of 30 minutes must be taken after more than 6 hours or 4.5 hours for workers under 18 years old.
- Once an offer of a placement has been made you will receive appropriate agreements to sign and date. This will provide you with details and your responsibilities during your placement.
For any questions you have regarding work experience, volunteering and internships at the council please email WEPrequests@doncaster.gov.uk.