The A630 West Moor Link is a major road improvement scheme which will benefit people travelling from the east of the borough towards Doncaster town centre.
Coronavirus updateWork on the A18 Thorne Road bridge replacement project (part of the West Moor Link scheme) will continue. Our main contractor Balfour Beatty is committed to the continued safe and successful delivery of the projects. They are regularly reviewing and acting on the advice from government..
The £10.65million regeneration scheme will see significant improvements on the A18 Thorne Road, particularly the section on and around the Thorne Road Railway Bridge which is the link to the A630 (Wheatley Hall Road), and the West Moor Link heading to the M18 motorway.
The West Moor Link suffers from congestion and delays, particularly during peak times. This congestion is stifling growth and preventing housing and employment development in the area.
The route is a key public transport corridor with over 240 buses (both directions) using the link under the rail bridge each week day.
What is planned
The West Moor Link scheme will:
- include a new bridge
- lower the carriageway underneath to remove the current height restrictions
- improve the width of the A18 carriageway, constructing an additional outbound lane
- widen the footway and include cycle lanes
- make junction improvements on the roundabouts either side of the bridge
By completing these important improvements, the scheme will:
- remove the current pinch point experienced here during peak travel periods
- reduce congestion
- cut journey times across the road network
- increase road capacity to handle future traffic growth
- enhance pedestrian/cycling facilities
- reduce the risk of vehicles striking the bridge
- enable the high vehicles currently diverted through Armthorpe to use the A18
- improve road safety
- offer better punctuality and reliability of local bus services
- increase accessibility which in turn enables investment in new developments that create new jobs and homes
The improved road infrastructure is vital for supporting economic growth and job creation across the borough. This council led scheme has been part funded by Sheffield City Region Local Growth Funding.
Work on the A18/A630 West Moor Link Regeneration Scheme started in July 2019
To find out the full details of the proposed works, the latest news and FAQs click on the link below: