We are preparing a new Local Plan to shape how Doncaster develops: how we want it to look and feel; and the policies and proposals needed to guide development to the right places whilst protecting and improving the environment and people’s quality of life.
Publication Draft Doncaster Local Plan: Consultation Now Open
Preparation has now reached 'Publication Stage' and we believe the Plan is ready for Examination. However, before it can be submitted to the Government for an examination, we are inviting views on whether you agree the plan is "legally compliant and sound".
The Council has agreed a Publication Draft Local Plan which it intends to submit to the Government for an independent examination. Before it does this, we are required to Publish the Plan for a technical consultation on whether you think it meets certain "soundness and legal tests".
Information regarding earlier consultations can be viewed on the Previous Consultations page.
Soundness and Legal Tests
Soundness means asking whether or not the Plan is 'fit for purpose' and 'showing good judgement'. The Examination will explore and investigate the Plan against the Government's four 'tests of soundness':
- Positively prepared - the Plan should be prepared so it meets Doncaster's objectively assessed needs for housing and other development, including infrastructure and business development.
- Justified – the Plan should be based on evidence, and be an appropriate strategy for the Borough when considered against other reasonable alternatives.
- Effective – the Plan should be deliverable and based on effective joint-working on cross-local authority boundary matters as evidenced in a Statement of Common Ground.
- Consistent with national policy – the plan should enable sustainable development and be consistent with the Government's National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF).
Legally compliant means asking whether or not the plan has been prepared in line with statutory regulations, the 'duty to cooperate' (see below) and legal procedural requirements such as the 'Sustainability Appraisal (SA) (see below)'. Details of how the plan has been prepared are set out in the Statement of Consultation and the Duty to Cooperate Statement - both listed below.
Please use the Comments Form and Guidance Notes if you wish to comment on the soundness of the Council's proposals.
- Local Plan Comments Form
- Download (66KB - DOCX)
We are now unable to make significant changes to the Plan but all comments will be submitted to the Local Plan Inspector who will consider them during the Examination.
Publication Draft Doncaster Local Plan Documents
Proposed Submission Documents
- Local Plan Publication Version - please note - this is almost 30MB document so it may take a while to open / download.
- Download (28.8MB - PDF)
- Statement of Consultation (Regulation 22 Statement) - summary of previous Local Plan consultations and how responses have influenced the Local plan.
- Download (2.37MB - PDF)
- Statement of Representation Procedure - a legally required notice for Publication Stage.
- Download (221KB - PDF)
Evidence base documents:
- All evidence base documents are available on the Local Plan Evidence Base page
5-Year Deliverable Housing Land Supply Statement 2018-2023
The Council is seeking to confirm, through the examination of this plan, a 5 year supply of deliverable housing sites under paragraph 74 of the NPPF. The latest 5-Year Deliverable Housing Land Supply Statement can be found here therefore.
- Doncaster 5-Year Deliverable Housing Land Supply Statement April 2018-March 2023
- Download (324KB - PDF)
Statement of Common Ground
Under the 1028 NPPF all local planning authorities have a requirement to produce, maintain and keep up to date a Statement of Common Ground (SoCG) to highlight agreement on cross boundary strategic issues with neighbouring authorities and other relevant organisations. Doncaster has produced a Draft SoCG which sets out the discussions with neighbouring local authorities and prescribed bodies on the strategic matters and issues which are relevant to the Doncaster Local Plan. The Statement was sent to neighbouring local authorities and prescribed bodies in June 2019 and a number of comments have been received and the SoCG has now been updated. The 2 documents below show the Revised Draft SoCG and summarise the comments received to the Draft SoCG.
N.B the SoCG is a living document which will evolve over time. There are currently some on-going and unresolved issues which require further change. Further work and dialogue is taking place to resolve these issues as the Local Plan progresses. The Council is also waiting for some responses to be received.
- Revised Draft Statement of Common Ground (August 2019)
- Download (1.65MB - PDF)
- Responses received to Draft Statement of Common Ground (June 2019)
- Download (890KB - PDF)
- Local Development Scheme March 2019
- Download (563KB - PDF)
- Habitats Regulations Assessment
- Download (1.03MB - PDF)
Further information about Doncasters planning policies can be found at Our Plans.
- email: email@example.com
- tel: 01302 734419