Frequently asked questions on Coronavirus

All FAQs will be updated when there is a change or development and regularly reviewed.

General information

How do I stay up to date with the latest news and advice?

We will keep this dedicated webpage and our social media pages (@mydoncaster) up to date with all important information for Doncaster residents regarding Coronavirus.

We have worked with health partners to create new accounts on Facebook and Twitter which will provide an official source of local information.

We would also suggest following our local health partners for further local advice and information.

  • NHS Doncaster CCG - @doncasterccg  
  • Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust - @rdash_nhs

On a national level, the following continue to provide the latest news and advice.

  • Public Health England - @phe_uk 
  • NHS England - @NHSEngland

You can see the full information and advice from Public Health England here.

How do I self-isolate?

The most common symptoms of Coronavirus are a persistent cough and/or a high temperature. If you have either of these you should self-isolate You do NOT need to call NHS 111 to tell them you're staying at home. If your symptoms worsen then contact NHS 111 online.

If you see people or businesses not following the government rules you can report them to South Yorkshire Police using their online form.

Should I go to work?

You should work from home unless absolutely necessary. Full guidance on staying at home can be found on the government website. There is also information for employers and business on our advice for employers and businesses page.

Should I travel on public transport?

Please follow the latest stay at home advice and only travel on public transport if you need to. You can find more information on our public transport guidance page

Will public events be going ahead?

All council-run events have now been postponed for an initial period of 12 weeks. This includes the Wool Market first birthday celebration, our Easter Trail event, the VE Day celebrations and the Delicious Doncaster Food Festival. It is our intention to try and reschedule some of these events, but of course this will become clearer as we move forward in the coming weeks.

Other events later in the calendar will be monitored and assessed as the situation develops. We hope to be able to honour bookings with revised dates later in the year as well as offer traders, contractors and suppliers our reassurance that as soon as we are in a position to advise of new dates or new plans we will do so.

We also encourage event planners across the borough to be mindful of the advice currently being given and urge everyone to follow the guidelines about the delivery of events.

You can see the full information and advice from Public Health England here.

How can I help and volunteer?

The Doncaster Community Hub provides a place for those who want to volunteer and help to co-ordinate the work to support vulnerable residents with existing voluntary and community organisations. Contact the Doncaster Community Hub on 01302 430300 or email for further information.

Health issues and those at greater risk

I / my relative has underlying health issues what should we be doing?

Please follow the latest NHS health advice.

How do I know if I’ve been in contact with someone with Coronavirus?

There is no real way of knowing if you have been in contact with someone who has Coronavirus, however, it is advised to stay away from anyone who is unwell.

Anyone with symptoms of the virus, particularly a persistent cough or a high temperature, are being asked to follow NHS advice.

Should I visit my elderly relative in a care home?

Please follow the latest stay at home advice from the government and contact the care home directly for information and advice. More information can be found on our advice for care homes page

My elderly relative has a home carer – what will happen?

Home Carers will continue their work as normal unless they have shown symptoms of Coronavirus, in which case they will be asked to stay at home for 14 days. Further advice will be provided to those residents whose carer is self-isolating. Where possible family and friends can support you or you can use your usual back up plans.

Additional support for those who need it

What mental health support is available during this time?

Anyone accessing mental health support services via Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS Foundation Trust (RDaSH) should continue to do so, although they may receive the service in a different way, ie phone support rather than face to face support. If there are any changes, patients will be contacted directly.

Anyone who requires support due to anxiety or depression should ring RDaSH’s Talking Shop on 01302 565650.

What should I do if I need additional support and don't have anyone who can help?

Doncaster Council has launched a Community Hub in response to the COVID-19 crisis, to ensure the most vulnerable people across the borough will be supported during the coming weeks. Visit the Doncaster Community Hub website  for more details.

To access help and support from Doncaster Community Hub: 

Changes to Doncaster Council services

 Are any council services closing?

You can find out about affected service on our list of services that have been suspended due to Coronavirus.

The One Stop Shop at the Civic Office is closed for the foreseeable future - more information can be found on the One Stop Shop information page

If you need to talk to someone you can contact customer services on 01302 736000.

 Will my bins still be collected?

Household waste and recycling bin collections remain unaffected. The collection of green bins has been temporarily paused effective from Monday 23rd March, to allow our services to prioritise other collections at this time.

Household Waste and Recycling Centres have also had to be closed.

You can use our website to find your collections dates.

 What is the latest guidance on marriages, civil partnerships, births and deaths?

Birth registration appointments have been suspended. However, customers can now make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered, where they have not previously been able to do so because of these measures.

The council is not currently taking any new marriage or civil partnership bookings and any weddings due to take place over the next few weeks are cancelled due to the current situation.

Due to the current Coronavirus situation, we are not making face to face appointments to register a death but are able to register a death over the phone.

You can contact the Registry Office with any queries you have on 01302 735222 or email: For more information visit our registration webpages.

 Will roadworks still be taking place during this?

We have managed to keep most roadworks sites operational although this could change in the coming days and weeks.

We have asked all utilities (i.e. gas, water etc.) to consider the impact their works will have on our networks and look to begin either cancelling or rescheduling planned major works during this period of uncertainty.

Work on the DN7 Hatfield Link and the A18 Thorne Road bridge replacement project (part of the West Moor Link scheme) will continue. Our main contractor Balfour Beatty is committed to the continued safe and successful delivery of the projects. They are regularly reviewing and acting on the advice from government.

More information and maps are available on our roadworks page.

Schools, children and young people

 Will schools/colleges/nurseries be closed?

Schools are closed from Monday March 23 to all pupils except for: Key workers' children with no other care option and children already identified as needing more support by the council and the school. Please care for your children at home - if you can. More information can be found on our advice for schools and parents page.

 What if I can't go to work because my child's school is closed

You will need to discuss this with your employer and look at the latest advice from the Department of Education which would be on the Government’s website -

The following page provides current information about which schools and childcare providers are open and have places available for Key Workers and NHS staff - Childcare for Key Workers.

 Financial support, business and landlord advice

Where do I go for financial support and advice?

For questions about financial support and advice please go to our financial advice webpage which will be updated as information becomes available.

Are there any additional jobs available due to the Coronavirus situation?

Doncaster Social Care Academy has been launched to recruit people to various paid roles across the adult social care sector in response to coronavirus crisis. You can read this news article to find out more information.

I am a landlord, what should I be doing?

The government's response to the Coronavirus pandemic has imposed restrictions which are relevant for landlords in the private rented sector. However help is available and landlords can still access their properties to ensure that works are carried out to meet legal obligations and ensure tenant welfare whilst observing social distancing measures. 

More information is available on this page: Advice for Landlords during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic


 Return to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) homepage


Last updated: 31 March 2020 19:09:50