This page provides guidance for employers, businesses and landlords on the coronavirus situation.
Local businesses are encouraged to visit the Business Doncaster Website which is being updated with the latest Coronavirus information. If you require a further discussion you can phone a Business Doncaster advisor on 01302 735555.
Business Rates and Business Grants
In response to the recent Covid-19 outbreak, the Chancellor has announced the following measures to help support businesses. These include:
- A 100% Business Rates discount for most businesses in the retail, leisure and hospitality sectors for the tax year 2020 to 2021. This is irrespective of the rateable value of the property.
- A cash grant of £10,000 to small businesses who are currently eligible for Small Business Rates Relief or Rural Rate Relief.
- A £10,000 grant will be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with a rateable value of less than £15,000, which qualify for the Expanded Retail Discount, and are not in receipt of Small Business Rates Relief
- A £25,000 grant will also be provided to retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with a rateable value between £15,000 and £51,000, who qualify for the Expanded Retail Discount.
- A 100% Business Rates discount for the tax year 2020 to 2021 for all properties occupied by providers on the Ofsted Early Years Register and wholly or mainly used for the provision of the Early Years Foundation Stage. This is irrespective of the rateable value of the property.
To submit a small business and retail, hospitality and leisure grant request please apply through the form linked below.
Business Rates bills for 2020/21 have already been sent to Doncaster businesses. As a result these bills will only show entitlement to any relevant relief at the levels before these announcements were made.
We are currently waiting for further guidance from Government regarding these measures. Doncaster Council is committed to introducing these measures as soon as possible. The following page will be updated once further information is available.
Further information about COVID - 19 and the support available to businesses is also available on the Government website .
The government's response to the Coronavirus pandemic has imposed restrictions which are relevant for landlords in the private rented sector. However help is available and landlords can still access their properties to ensure that works are carried out to meet legal obligations and ensure tenant welfare whilst observing social distancing measures.
More information is available on this page: Advice for Landlords during the COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Pandemic
Other sources of information and support for businesses
Advice is also available on decontamination for businesses, where a possible or confirmed COVID-19 case has spent time while symptomatic.
Businesses are encouraged to display the government's coronavirus poster within their workspaces.
- Coronavirus public information poster
- Download (550KB - PDF)
The British Chamber of Commerce has useful information on Preparing for and responding to Coronavirus.
To assist with planning, it may be useful to refer to the Cabinet Office pandemic checklist for businesses. This refers to pandemic influenza but the checklist may be useful.
Businesses should remind their staff to follow Public Health England advice to:
- always carry tissues and use them to catch your cough or sneeze, then bin the tissue, and wash your hands with soap and water
- wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after using public transport
- avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- avoid close contact with people who are unwell
Return to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) homepage