My business has been affected by flooding

Useful information if your business has been affected by flooding.

Financial Support

Business Recovery Grant - £2500 (APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED)


Business Rates exemptions

If floodwater entered your business, you won’t pay business rates for at least 3 months. The exemption will continue until you’re able to resume trading.

The exemptions will be applied automatically by the council to any business which receives the Business Recovery Grant. Please see the following page for further details: 


Farming Grants

A £2 million fund to support farmers who suffered uninsurable damage to their property in the devastating floods in November has opened for applications.

The Government confirmed in November 2019 that it would extend its Farming Recovery Fund so farmers in parts of South Yorkshire could apply for grants between £500 and £25,000 to cover a number of repair costs, including removing debris, re-cultivation, rebuilding fences and stone walls and replacing damaged field gates.

The Farming Recovery Fund is open for applications from farmers with affected land in parts of South Yorkshire, Gloucestershire and the Midlands. Affected farmers in these areas are being encouraged to check GOV.UK to see if they are eligible to claim.

Farmers who have already repaired damage caused by the flooding should keep records of all relevant evidence, including receipts and before and after photos, in order to help the RPA process eligible applications promptly.

The application window for flood affected farmers in North Yorkshire and Wainfleet in Lincolnshire which opened in September closes on 31 March 2020. The window for this extension of the Fund will close on 31 July 2020, but farmers are encouraged to submit their applications when they are able.

A handbook has been published today with full details of which areas are eligible, what is covered and how to apply for funding, please follow this link: 

Farming Recovery Fund 2019: Handbook and Application Form 

All farmers whose land has been flooded can use the following link to access existing guidance around CAP payments.

Information about other forms of Government recovery support, including the Business Support Grant and Property Flood Resilience Recovery Support Scheme can be found on the following page £1 million funding boost for South Yorkshire flood charity.

People from the farming community are also advised to visit the National Farmer's Union advice page. 

Property Flood Resilience (PFR) Recovery Support Scheme

Rebuilding a home or business after it has been affected by flooding is a stressful time and there can be many complex decisions to make.

The Government is now making funding available to allow flood-hit homes and businesses to receive up to £5,000 (including VAT) to make changes on properties and reduce damage levels should flooding reoccur.

The purpose behind these grants is to help property owners strengthen their homes and businesses for the future. If flooding should happen again then the damage levels should be considerably lower and it will be much quicker to return back to homes and businesses.

The grant is to fund the additional cost, over the costs of a standard property repair, using materials which are more resistant and resilient to damage from flooding or rearranging the layout of the property, for example, changing the positions of electrical sockets.

This work is known as Property Flood Resilience (PFR) and they are measures which householders and businesses can install in their properties to increase their resilience to flooding. This action helps stop water entering a property, or if it does, adapting the property to reduce the amount of damage it causes.

Examples of PFR include installing airbrick covers, using flood resistant coatings on walls and using flood barriers to stop water coming through doorways. A set of resilience measures and indicative costs can be found here:

Resilience Measures and Indicative Costs
Download (25KB - PDF)

Further criteria is below. Owners are eligible for the scheme:

  • Properties must have been severely damaged by flooding between 7 November and 18 November 2019 – these include static caravans which are primary residences and registered on the electoral role.
  • Garages, outhouses, storage areas and empty and second homes are not eligible. Basements or cellars not used as part of the habitable or business area of a property are also not eligible.

In some cases a collaborative application would work better rather than treating each property individually. For example, older terraced properties often have thin party walls and linked basements, so homes owners on a street could come together and look at a solution for everyone. Retrospective applications (submitted once work has already been completed) will be considered.

When completing the form, please include as much information and evidence as possible. You will be asked if you have had a survey or a quote done – if you have, you will need to attach these documents. You will also have the option to attach photos showing flood damage to your property. Please note that the first address you are asked for needs to be the flooded property address. 

You can now apply for funding under this scheme using the link below:

Property Flood Resilience (PFR) Grant Application

If you require assistance filling in this form, please ask for support at a Flood Recovery Centre or Hub.

For any other questions you may have please see the following:


A useful brochure from the Environment Agency is available to read: Property Flood Resilience. It is full of detailed information and includes examples of homes which have been adapted to be more resilient to any future flooding.

Doncaster Council will not tolerate fraud, bribery or corruption please refer to our Anti-Fraud, Bribery and Corruption Framework

Protecting Your Business 

You can read information from the Environment Agency about how to plan ahead for a flood including how to sign up for flood alerts and understanding the 3 levels of flood warnings that are issued.

If you are in an area at high risk of flooding, the Environment Agency can inform you of any flood warnings they issue. Click on the link below to Sign up for flood warnings or contact the Floodline on 0845 9881188 for advice on how to arrange this.

Information for landlords

To reduce the risks of flooding, both landlords and tenants should:

  • Check their flood risk even if they have already done so previously, as the Environment Agency regularly updates its flood zone maps.
  • Be mindful of the risk of surface water and flash flooding, even if the property is located away from a river and outside the identified flood zones. Flash flooding is becoming increasingly common as climate change takes effect.
  • Sign up for free flood warnings, which will alert landlords when river flooding is possible/occurring and give tenants vital time to prepare when an alert is issued. Also check Met Office weather warnings, river level data, and information from the local community/flood group.

Landlords are advised to:

  • Inform tenants of their flood risk and encourage them to plan ahead for possible flooding. Preparation is a vital step in reducing damage to the property and their possessions.
  • Get a surveyor to help find the most effective property-level flood protection solutions. The Royal Institute for Chartered Surveyors (RICS) has a list of professional chartered surveyors that can be browsed by postcode.
  • Take steps to reduce the damage caused by floodwater entering the property. Positioning electrical and plumbing services at high levels and using building materials that will not be affected by water will reduce the costs and time taken to repair the property after flooding.
  • Consider installing measures to help prevent floodwater from entering the property, such as flood gates, air bricks and non-return valves. They should also show tenants how to deploy these if required.
  • Check, test and maintain flood protection products in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If repairs or adjustments are needed and the landlord is uncertain on how to do them, they should contact the installer who fitted them.

What to do if flooding occurs:

  • Unless this is caused by the tenant, landlords are legally responsible for repairs to the structure of the building and must get water, gas, electricity, sanitation and heating back up and running as soon as possible.
  • Although landlords are not required to find accommodation for displaced tenants, they may have to assist with any costs that arise if the property is so badly damaged that the tenant needs to relocate whilst repairs are made.
  • When flooding occurs, tenants are advised to tell the landlord as soon as possible and document the flooding where safe to do so in order in case they need to put in a claim later on. This may include taking photos and saving receipts from hotels they have to stay in if the property is too badly damaged to inhabit.
  • Tenants are responsible for their personal possessions and should take simple measures to limit damage to the property in the event of flooding where this is possible and does not pose a danger to life. Such measures might include lining the doors of the affected room with towels or rags and using buckets to collect water. 
  • Advice for tenants who need to move out temporarily can be found on the Citizens Advice website


Return to the Flood advice homepage

Last updated: 14 February 2020 10:34:06