Coronavirus financial advice

This page brings together the financial advice available for people living in Doncaster, it will be updated as more information becomes available.

Check if something is a scam

Make sure you only use trusted sources of information about coronavirus. If you see emails about coronavirus from someone you don't know, don't click on any links or buy anything. Don’t give money or personal details to anyone you don’t know or trust – for example, if someone knocks on your door and offers to help.

You can check if something is a scam using Citizens Advice's online tool.

I live in council accommodation and I’m struggling to pay the rent – what should I do?

St Leger Homes currently recommend that people speak to their local rents officer in their area office if struggling with rent payments – and then they can refer on to our Tenancy Sustainability Team as necessary for further support.

Find out more on the St Leger Homes website.

I have an issue paying Council Tax. What should I do?

Doncaster Mayor Ros Jones recently announced a 10-point plan to help people and communities get through the Coronavirus emergency. This includes a three month Council Tax payment holiday for households struggling to pay due to the crisis, temporarily suspending recovery action and making additional Local Council Tax Support available. 

For more information visit our Council Tax page.

I'm struggling with my energy supply/bills. What can I do?

OFGEM is providing information about energy supply to the public including information for people on prepaid meters. Customers are also advised to contact their energy company directly.

The government has released a press release which may be useful to anyone supporting people who are going to struggle to pay their energy bills

Can I be furloughed if I'm no longer able to go to work?

If you’re an employee you can’t claim for yourself, instead you should check if your employer can use the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme. If you are an employer please see our information page for employers and businesses.

What help is available for businesses?/How do I request a small business grant?

There is an information page for employers and businesses which includes information about business rates and grants available.

Where can I go to get more financial help and advice?

For more support and advice you can visit the Citizens Advice website or the Money Advice Service website which both provide reliable and up to date information. For employment and financial support from the Government go to the relevant tab on the Government's coronavirus information pages

Who can I talk to locally for help and support

Anyone who needs help and has no other support can ring the Doncaster Community Hub helpline or email the Hub 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm. 


Return to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) homepage



Last updated: 12 May 2020 17:24:58