Reporting a crime

It is important that you report any instances of crime, no matter how trivial they may seem. Doing so will help keep you and your community safer.

Which number should I call?

If you are in doubt as to which number to call to report a crime, this page explains what you should do.

When to dial 999

  • when there is a threat to life (including road traffic accidents where persons are injured, the road is blocked or a vehicle involved in the accident has failed to stop)
  • when violence to a person or damage to property is imminent
  • if a serious offence is actually in progress
  • if a suspected offender is still at the scene of a crime
  • when any delay in reporting the incident may prevent the offender being apprehended
  • when serious disruption to the public is currently taking place or, is likely to take place

When to call 101

The 101 number is South Yorkshire Police's non-emergency number. It should be used:

  • to report a crime not currently taking place and no offender is present
  • for road traffic accidents where there are no injuries, the highway is not blocked and all parties involved are still at the scene
  • where the call is of a routine nature or to make an appointment to attend an enquiry office
  • for requests for advice or to give information
  • for lost and found property enquiries

You can also call us on 01302 736000 to report minor incidents.

You can also report a crime anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555111

Report an incident through South Yorkshire Police online services 

As an alternative to 101, you can now also report your non-emergency incident online through South Yorkshire Police online services 

No matter how trivial you think an incident may be, report it. Some reports may not result in a visit by a police officer, but when looked at along with other reports from the same area, a picture may emerge that enables the police to respond more effectively than to individual incidents.

Last updated: 07 September 2017 09:33:31