Temporary use notice (gambling)

A temporary use notice allows the use of premises for gambling where there is no premises licence but where a gambling operator wishes to use the premises temporarily for providing facilities for gambling.

Premises that might be suitable for a temporary use notice (TUN) would include hotels, conference centres, and sporting venues. 

A TUN may only be granted to a person or company holding a relevant operating licence issued by the Gambling Commission.
Regulations (SI 3157/2007) state that the only activities permitted under a TUN are the provision of facilities for any form of equal chance gaming where those participating in the gaming are taking part in a competition which is intended to produce a single, overall winner (this does not include providing such facilities in circumstances where any person participating in the gaming does so by means of a gaming machine).
A TUN must be lodged with the Local Authority not less than three months and one day before the day on which the gambling event will begin.

The notice must be copied, within seven days of the date of the notice, to the following responsible authorities:

Gambling Commission
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP
Fax: 0121 230 6720
Email: info@gamblingcommission.gov.uk
Telephone: 0121 230 6666

South Yorkshire Police
Sheffield Licensing Team
60 Attercliffe Common 
S9 2AD
Tel: 0114 252 3948 / 0114 252 3617
Fax: 0114 252 3688
Email: don_licensing@southyorks.pnn.police.uk

H M Revenue & Customs
National Registration Unit (Betting & Gaming)
Portcullis House
21 India Street
G2 4PZ
Tel: 0141 555 3633
Email: nru.betting&gaming@hrrc.gsi.gov.uk  

The licensing authority and the above responsible authorities are permitted to make objections in relation to a TUN. Objections must be made within 14 days of the date of the notice. A hearing will then be held to determine the notice.
If no objections are received, the event can proceed as applied for. A copy of the notice must then be displayed on the premises for the duration of the event.
The same set of premises may not be the subject of a TUN for more than 21 days in any 12-month period, but may be the subject of several notices provided that the total does not exceed 21 days.
Should this period be exceeded a counter-notice will be issued by the Local Authority that has the effect of stopping the TUN coming into effect; failure to comply with the counter-notice will be an offence.

Occasion on which fee may be payable




Copy of Notice



Related pages

Social Media

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter @LicensingDMBC

Licensing issues


Last updated: 10 June 2021 17:41:09