Private hire driver's licence

A licence is required before any person can drive a licensed hackney carriage or private hire vehicle.

This particular licence allows you to drive private hire vehicles.

Before submitting your application you should complete the following:

You are advised to pay particular attention to ‘Appendix 2 Statement of Policy about Relevant Convictions’ before doing anything else.

  • Book, attend and pass the Council’s approved practical driving test (and wheelchair exercise if applying for Hackney Carriage or Joint licence) – tests can be booked in two ways, either directly with ‘The Blue Lamp Trust’ or there are a limited number of spaces available through the Councils internal test station.

    Option 1 – The Blue Lamp Trust

    The Blue Lamp Trust offers frequent test availability. To book your practical driving test directly with The Blue Lamp Trust please visit their webpage - TaxiAssesments | THE BLUE LAMP TRUST

    To book your Wheelchair exercise assessment (or a combined practical driving test and wheelchair exercise assessment) directly with The Blue Lamp Trust please visit their webpage - Wheelchair Assessment | THE BLUE LAMP TRUST

    Option 2 – Doncaster Council (North Bridge) Tests

    The Councils North Bridge Depot offer a limited number of practical driving assessment and wheelchair exercise tests.

    To book a practical driving assessment and/or wheelchair exercise assessment with the Councils North Bridge Depot please follow this link -  
  • Book, attend and pass the Doncaster Council knowledge test – tests can be booked at the link below.

  • Ensure your UK driving licence is in your current address (see the Policy for full details and requirements)

  • Obtain a ‘Group 2 Standard’ medical certificate from a medical practitioner using the form included in the application pack (the medical practitioner MUST have access to your previous medical history). Please refer to the advice to the applicants included on the form.
  • If you have previously spent more than 3 consecutive months outside of the UK, you are required to provide a 'certificate of good character' from the appropriate embassy(s) (see Policy for details).
  • If you do not hold a UK passport, you will need to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK (further information is provided below).
  • Book and attend a Safeguarding Awareness Training session. All applicants are required to attend a Doncaster Council Safeguarding Awareness Training session - this must be done before you submit your application.For availability and to book please follow this link - Doncaster Safeguarding
  • Get a passport sized photograph of yourself (taken recently). No hats or head covering (unless worn for religious reasons)
  • Obtain an Enhanced Disclosure & Barring Service (DBS) Certificate which includes checks of the Vulnerable Adult and Children Barred List.
  • You should apply and obtain your own Enhanced DBS Certificate – Child & Adult Workforce through a registered body. A list of registered body’s is available on the government website -
  • Although you are free to choose which registered body you apply through for a DBS certificate, Doncaster Council is working with TaxiPlus who are able to provide this service. You can apply through TaxiPlus via this link –

    Remember - You MUST subscribe to the DBS Update Service so we can check your entitlement on a 6 month basis.

    Further information on the DBS is available via this link DBS Code of Conduct  

Work Eligibility

Your right to work in the UK will be checked as part of your licence application, this could include the licensing authority checking your immigration status with the Home Office. We may otherwise share information with the Home Office.

You must therefore provide a ‘share code’, document or document combination that is stipulated as being suitable for this check.

Option 1: Share Code
Details of how to obtain a share code can be found at:

Option 2: Documents
The list of documents is set out in the guidance document available on the Government website: 

You must provide the original document(s), such as your passport or biometric residence permit, as indicated in the published guidance, so that the check can take place.
The document(s) will be copied and the copy retained by the licensing authority.

The original document will be returned to you.

Your application will not be considered valid until all the necessary information and original document(s) have been produced and the relevant fee has been paid.

If there are restrictions on the length of time you may work in the UK, your licence will not be issued for any longer than this period. In such circumstances the check will be repeated each time you apply to renew your licence. If, during this period, you are disqualified from holding a licence because you have not complied with the UK’s immigration laws, your licence will lapse and you must return it to the licensing authority.

Failure to do so is a criminal offence.

You will be notified within 20 working days of us receiving your completed application; if your application has been successful or, if further enquiries are required.

If, during the application process, we become aware that the applicant either:

• has relevant criminal convictions; or
• there are concerns arising out of the assessment of the applicant’s driving licence

So that the authority cannot automatically determine whether the applicant is a fit and proper person to hold the licence applied for, then the applicant will be invited to attend a licensing hearing. 

Details of the hearing process can be found in the Policy.

We look forward to receiving your application and if you have any difficulty with any of the forms or have any questions, please contact us by e-mail


Driver application (three year duration licence)


Apply Online

When you are ready to make your application, you can do so at the link below.


Renewal of an Existing Licence

To renew your existing licence, select the link below. Please note that you will be asked for your reference number, this can be found on the letter we have sent you.


Changes from April 2022 (Renewal Applicants Only)

From 4 April 2022, licensing authorities are responsible for carrying out certain checks on applications from individuals, companies and any type of partnership to make sure they are aware of their tax responsibilities or have completed a tax check.

If you make an application on or after 4 April 2022 you’ll need to complete a tax check, link below for information and how to apply:

Changes for taxi, private hire or scrap metal licence applications from April 2022 - GOV.UK (  

After you have completed the tax check you will be given a 9-character tax check code.

You will need to give the code on your application to the licensing authority, so we can confirm you have carried out a tax check.

Please note that the HMRC has powers to obtain information from licensing authorities:

Schedule 23 to Finance Act 2011 (Data Gathering Powers) and Schedule 36 to Finance Act 2008 (Information and Inspection Powers), grant HMRC powers to obtain relevant information from third parties. This includes licensing bodies being required to provide information about licence applicants.

Further information can be found by clicking on the following links:

Licensing issues


Social Media

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter @LicensingDMBC

Last updated: 10 May 2022 17:05:56