The Highways Act 1980 delegates the issue of Pavement Licences to the local authority.
Who can apply?
To apply for this licence, you must:
- Be the operator of a pub, bar, restaurant or cafe.
- Have premises located in the Doncaster Borough, also includes the area of Doncaster Town Centre which is covered by a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO)
- Make sure that there is enough room for your customers and staff to maintain social distancing.
- Make sure that there is enough room for pedestrians, prams and wheelchairs to get past whilst maintaining social distancing.
A full list of conditions can be found in the attached document 'Payment Licence Conditions'
What can the area be used for?
You can use the area to set up an outside seating area for your customers to consume food and/or drink purchased from your premises.
How much does this licence cost?
There is normally a charge of £100.00 for the application, however to support local businesses Doncaster Council has, for a limited time, chosen to waive the application fee.
What else do I need?
You will need to provide a plan which clearly shows the area you are intending to use and provide evidence of Public Liability insurance which covers the proposed area.
Please note that this licence only gives permission to place tables, chairs and related infrastructure on the public highway. This licence does not exclude the applicant from other regulatory responsibilities, for example you would need a Premises licence if you wanted to sell alcohol.
How do I apply?
What other information do the local authority require?
We will only accept applications made online which have been submitted with all the required documents.
An application is only considered to be complete when the local authority has received the following:
- a completed application form
- a plan showing the location of the premises shown by a red line, so the application site can be clearly identified
- a plan clearly showing the proposed area covered by the licence in relation to the highway, if not to scale, with measurements clearly shown
- photos or brochures showing the proposed type of furniture and information on potential siting of it within the area applied
What will the Council do with my application?
Once we have a completed application the Council shall publish a notice by:
- affixing it in a conspicuous position at or near the place to which the proposal relates; and
- by serving a copy of the notice on the owner and occupier of any premises appearing to the council to be likely to be materially affected.
- Publishing a notice on the website.
We will also consult with relevant bodies including South Yorkshire Police and Doncaster Council – Highways Department.
Any representations received during the consultation period will be considered when determining your application.
How do you determine applications?
Each application is determined on its own merits after consideration of any representations received.
When will I find out if the licence has been granted?
There is a consultation period of 28 days beginning with the first day after the notice is displayed.
If granted, a licence will be sent to you by post.
If my application is refused, can I appeal?
There is no appeal process associated with this licence type.
Copies of current applications can be found at www.doncaster.gov.uk/publicnotice
- ALFRESCO PAVEMENT LICENCE CONDITIONS
- Download (20KB - DOCX)