Gambling premises licence transfer

When control of an existing licensed gambling premises is to change to a different operator, it is necessary to apply to the licensing authority for the transfer of the licence.

Your application should include:

• the transfer application form
• the existing premises licence*
• written consent to the transfer from the existing licence-holder
• the appropriate application fee (detailed below)

*If it is not possible to provide the premises licence with your application, a statement as to why this is the case should be provided, along with an application for a duplicate copy of the licence.

The completed application form and all of the accompanying documents should be sent to the Licensing Department, at Doncaster Council, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster, DN1 3BU

Transfer Gambling Premises Licence 2013
Download (293KB)

Before any application can be made for the transfer of a premises licence, an application for a relevant operating licence must have been submitted to the Gambling Commission. Further details on operating licences and personal licences are available direct from the Gambling Commission, on 0121 230 6666, or through their website

Please note that no premises licence will be issued before an appropriate operating licence is confirmed as granted.

When making a transfer application, a number of responsible authorities must be given notice of your application, within seven days of submission.

A format has been prescribed for this notice.

• Use Form A if only one individual or company is making the application.
• Use Form B if the application is being made jointly by two or more individuals and/or companies.

Notice must be given to:

Gambling Commission
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP
Fax: 0121 230 6720
Telephone: 0121 230 6666 

H M Revenue & Customs
National Registration Unit (Betting & Gaming)
Portcullis House
21 India Street
G2 4PZ
Tel: 0141 555 3633
Email: nrubetting&

South Yorkshire Police
Sheffield Licensing Team
60 Attercliffe Common 
S9 2AD
Tel: 0114 252 3948 / 0114 252 3617
Fax: 0114 252 3688

Doncaster Safeguarding Children Board
Wellbeck Room
Carr House Centre
Danum Road

Tel:01302 734747

Representations from any of these responsible authorities will be accepted during the period of 28 days starting from when your application is made. If a valid representation is received, the application will be referred to the licensing sub-committee for determination.

There is no requirement for newspaper or premises advertisements as part of a transfer application. Failing to properly notify the responsible authorities will delay the determination of your application.

It is required that an application to transfer a premises licence is accompanied by a written letter of consent from the existing licence-holder, to demonstrate that they consent to the licence being transferred to the new applicant. In some circumstances, it may not be possible to obtain consent from the existing licence-holder – for instance, if they have left the premises and their current whereabouts is unknown.

In these circumstances, the licensing authority has discretion to disapply the requirement to submit a letter of consent – however, it is expected that the applicant will have taken all reasonable steps to try and reach the licence-holder, and that a statement of these steps will be submitted in place of the letter of consent.  Please note that this provision does not apply if the previous licence-holder has refused to give consent to the transfer of the

The application fee is dependent on the type of premises licence to be transferred. All premises licence fees are set by the local licensing authority, up to a maximum amount prescribed by regulations.

Bingo Premise Transfer fee £804.00
Adult Gaming Centre transfer fee £804.00
Betting Premise (Track) transfer fee £804.00
Family entertainment Centre transfer fee £804.00
Betting Premise (other) transfer fee £804.00

For further information, please contact us: 

Related Pages

Club Gaming Permit

Club Machine Permit

Gambling Act 2005

Gambling Premises Licence

Gaming Machine Permits & Notifications

Occasional Use Notice

Prize Gaming Permits

Temporary Use Notice (T.U.N)

Un-licensed Family Entertainment Centre

Gambling Policy

Licensing issues


Social Media

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter @LicensingDMBC

Last updated: 18 May 2022 09:24:22