Club machine permit

If a club does not wish to have the full range of facilities permitted by a club gaming permit or if they are a commercial club not permitted to provide non-machine gaming (other than exempt gaming under section 269 of the Act), then they may apply to the licensing department for a club machine permit.

 A club machine permit authorises the holder to have up to three gaming machines of categories B3A (except that category B3A machines may not be made available for use in commercial cubs), B4, C and D (see categories below). A club machine permit has certain conditions, including that in respect of the gaming machines no child or young person uses a category B or C machine on the premises and that the holder complies with any relevant provision of a code of practice about the location and operation of gaming machines.

There are a number of premises that are not licensed to sell alcohol that have been entitled under section 31 of the Gaming Act 1968 to site gaming machines, by virtue of being registered under Part I or Part ll of that Act. These include works premises which operate membership-based social clubs. The Gambling Act (‘the Act”) allows these premises to apply for a club machine permit.

Who can apply for a club machine permit?

A members’ club, miners’ welfare institute or a commercial club may apply to us for a club machine permit.  Members’ clubs must have at least 25 members and be established and conducted “wholly or mainly” for purposes other than gaming, unless the gaming is permitted by separate regulations. It is anticipated that this will cover bridge and whist clubs, which will replicate the position under the Gaming Act 1968. A members’ club must be permanent in nature, not established to make commercial profit, and controlled by its members equally. Examples include working men’s clubs, branches of the Royal British Legion and clubs with political affiliations.

With regard to miners’ welfare institutes, the definition of this class of club has changed to reflect social and economic changes since their establishment. These are associations established for recreational or social purposes. They are managed by representatives of miners or uses premises regulated by a charitable trust which has received funds from one of a number of mining organisations.

Commercial clubs have the same characteristics as members’ clubs, except that the key difference is that they are established with a view to making a profit (an example of a commercial club is a snooker club)

Applicants are not required to have an Operating Licence issued by the Gambling Commission.

We have members who are under 18, can we still apply?

Yes, as long as the majority of your members are over 18. However, if under 18s use the club, for example if they are apprentices, then they may only play the category D machines, they are not permitted to play the B3A, B4 or C machines.

What are the categories of machines available?

Category of machine Maximum ''stake'' Maximum prize
B3A* £2 £500
B4 £2 £400
C 50p £100
D 20p £20**
    **of which no more than £10 may be a money prize

*N B. - B3A machines may not be made available for use in commercial clubs

Documents required:

  1. the application form;

  2. the fee;

  3. in the case of conversions/renewals/variations — your existing permission

Who do I send my application to?

Doncaster Council, Licensing, Civic Office, Waterdale, Doncaster DN1 3BU.

Within a period of seven days (beginning on the date on which the application is made) you must also copy your application (and any accompanying documents) to the following:

Gambling Commission
Victoria Square House
Victoria Square
B2 4BP
Fax: 0121 230 6720
Telephone: 0121 230 6666

South Yorkshire Police
Sheffield Licensing Team
60 Attercliffe Common
S9 2AD
Tel: 0114 252 3948 / 0114 252 3617
Fax: 0114 252 3688
Email :

Please note - These bodies have 28 days to make any objections that they may have to the application

Once received, the licensing department will either grant or refuse an application, however they cannot add conditions. They may only refuse an application for a permit on one or more of the following grounds:

a) that the applicant is not a members’ club or a miners’ welfare institute

b) that the premises on which the applicant conducts its activities are used wholly or mainly by children, by young persons or by both,

c) that an offence, or a breach of a condition of a permit, has been committed in the course of gaming activities carried on by the applicant,

d) that a permit held by the applicant has been cancelled during the period of ten years ending with the date of the application, or

e) that an objection to the application has been received from either the police or the Gambling Commission.

Before refusing an application a hearing must be held to consider the application and any objection received per e) above.

How long does a Club Machine Permit last?

A permit lasts for 10 years. There is an annual fee for this type of permit, the first of which must be paid within 30 days of the permit becoming effective. A permit can be cancelled if the holder fails to pay the annual fee (unless the failure is as the result of an administrative error).


Licensing issues


Social Media

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter @LicensingDMBC

Last updated: 10 June 2021 18:02:50