Supporting People

Supporting People is a government programme helping vulnerable people in England and Wales live independently and help them to remain in their home.

By vulnerable people, we mean:

  • offenders or people at risk of offending
  • older people with support needs
  • people who are homeless
  • people with drug and/or alcohol problems
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with mental health needs
  • young people at risk
  • young people leaving care

The programme also offers timely housing-related support services, allowing vulnerable people to avoid long term care. Under the Supporting People arrangement a wider range of people have access to community-based support services, meaning they can remain independent in their homes for a longer period. 

What are housing-related support services?

Housing related support services are services that:

  • help to develop or sustain a person to live independently
  • improve the tenancy choices for people
  • provide immediate refuge

These could include:

  • help provided to older people in sheltered housing schemes
  • community alarm systems
  • help managing money and other independent living skills
  • temporary emergency accommodation such as hostels/refuges

Who benefits from the Supporting People Programme?

The programme in Doncaster funds support services in hostels, women's refuges, supported living schemes, sheltered accommodation and floating support services.

What services are available?

The Directory of Supporting People Services in Doncaster lists all of our support providers in one easy to use guide. This is available in the downloads and resources area of the page.

All referrals should be made directly to the individual services listed.

Will I have to pay for the service?

You do not have to pay if you are receiving housing benefit, income support, pension credit or if the support you are receiving is short term (less than two years).

If you are not entitled to any of the benefits listed, but have less than £23,250 in capital and are accessing a long-term service (over two years), you can apply for a financial assessment to determine if you can get any help towards the costs.

Everyone else will have to pay for housing-related support.

For further information, please visit:

Last updated: 25 January 2019 12:54:06