What is this for?
Eligibility Criteria (IMPORTANT: Please read before submitting a form)
The government expects billing authorities to provide a £150 one-off payment to a liable council tax payer (or a person who would otherwise be liable where the property is exempt) for every household that occupies a property which meets all of the following eligibility criteria on 1 April 2022;
- It is valued in council tax bands A – D. This includes property that is valued in band E but has an alternative valuation band of band D, as a result of the disabled band reduction scheme;
- It is someone’s sole or main residence;
- It is a chargeable dwelling, or in exemption classes N (all occupants are full time students), S (all occupants are under the age of 18 years), U (all residents are classed as Severely Mentally Impaired) or W (Annexe occupied by dependent relatives); and
- The person who is liable to pay the council tax (or would be were the property not exempt) is not a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.
This means that in order to be eligible to a payment:
- The applicant must be a named taxpayer on the Council Tax records for the eligible property on 1 April 2022,
- The property must be their main home (their sole or main residence),
- The property must be in Council Tax bands A to D
- The property must not be exempt, with the exception of exemption classes N (all occupants are full time students), S (all occupants are under the age of 18 years), U (all residents are classed as Severely Mentally Impaired) or W (Annexe occupied by dependent relatives) which are eligible.
This list is not exhaustive and judgement in consideration of the aims of the scheme, which is to support households with domestic energy costs, are at the discretion of Doncaster council.
This means that:
- A property that meets all the criteria, but has a nil council tax liability as a result of local council tax support, will be eligible.
- A property that has no permanent resident and is someone’s second home will not be eligible.
- An unoccupied property (for the purposes of calculating council tax) will not be eligible.
Only one payment of £150.00 will be made per household, regardless of the number of occupants or liable taxpayers at the property.
Exclusions (IMPORTANT: Please read before submitting a form)
Please be aware that exclusions apply to this scheme, which include:
- Where the liable party is a local authority, a corporate body or other body such as a housing association, the government or governmental body.
- where the property is a House in Multiple Occupation (HIMO),
- where the property is unoccupied properties, or a second home,
- where the property is furnished but is not a person's sole or main residence,
- where the property is exempt, with the exception of exemption classes N (all occupants are full time students), S (all occupants are under the age of 18 years), U (all residents are classed as Severely Mentally Impaired) or W (Annexe occupied by dependent relatives), which are eligible,
- where the property is in valuation bands E to H,
- where the applicant is not the Council Tax payer on 1 April 2022,
- where the property is not entered on the domestic rating list as at 1 April 2022,
- Only one payment of £150.00 will be made per household, regardless of the number of occupants or liable taxpayers.
Full details of the Government Guidance can be found here.
What is it going to cost?
What we need from you
Advice using our address look-up function at the start of this e-form
We are aware some people are having difficulty finding their property address using the address look-up system at the very start of this form. To avoid issues, please only enter your post code (using correct spacing), before selecting your address from the drop down list provided.
In order to apply you will need to:
- May need to register for a MyDoncaster account if you haven’t already. This will allow you to track your enquiry. You will also be able to access additional online services offered by us. You can also apply without registering if you prefer.
- Have got permission from all other taxpayers at the address on 1 April 2022, to submit this claim on behalf of the household.
- Have your latest Council Tax bill to hand, as you will need to provide your valid Council Tax account and Property Reference number.
- Supply details about you and your address.
- Supply details of a valid UK bank account, so that a payment can be made to you if you are eligible for the payment. Please be aware that the bank account should be in the name of at least one of the taxpayers liable to pay Council Tax for the property on 1 April 2022. Payments can only be made to valid UK bank accounts.
If you do not supply the required information, this may cause a delay to your application being processed.
Please be aware that the information you provide may be subject to additional checks for counter fraud purposes. This may include third party searches against my name, address, credit reports and other banking validation information.
Any deliberate manipulation of information to incorrectly receive an energy rebate payment is considered an act of fraud, subject to prosecution and that any money paid under this scheme will be recoverable from you.
Before submitting an application, please check:
- You are a liable taxpayer for the property on 1 April 2022. You must have a valid Council Tax account and Property Reference number to submit an application.
- Your property is in Council Tax bands A to D,
- That none of the exclusions apply to your property,
- You have permission from all other taxpayers at the address on 1 April 2022, to submit this claim on behalf of the household,
- You have not already applied. Please check with other people in your household. Please do not submit repeat or speculative applications.
- You have not already received your payment automatically. Over 77,000 households who paid their Council Tax by Direct Debit on 1 April 2022, were automatically paid the energy rebate using their Direct Debit details. If applicable, residents should have received their payment by 25 April 2022.
What you should expect from us
The application form will complete basic checks on the account number and Property Reference number you provide. Using this information it will automatically identify your property on the council Tax records. If you are not eligible, a message will be displayed and you will be prevented from completing an application. This will be because one of the exclusions apply, for example you are not liable on 1 April 2022, or the property is recorded as empty, or an exemption applies, or that a payment, or application has already been made for that Council Tax account. Please see the FAQ's on the scheme for more information and what to do.
If your property is eligible, you will be asked further details, about you, your property, and for your bank account details.
Once submitted, we will complete additional pre-payment checks to confirm you are eligible for a One-off Council Tax Energy Rebate grant payment. If your household is eligible, a payment will be made direct to the nominated bank account you have provided on your form.
If we find that we cannot pay you after receiving an application, or if further information is required to process your request, we will contact you.
Due to the high volume of applications expected and additional pre-payment checks required to prevent fraud, we ask that you allow at least 30 days for your application to be processed. However, we hope that most applications will be processed much quicker.
All payments are subject to an application being submitted successfully, with all required evidence and information, and meeting all eligibility criteria.
Whilst we appreciate that residents are eager to access this support, we ask that you remain patient whilst your application is processed. We appreciate you may want confirmation of the outcome of your application, but we are unable to confirm a grant will be awarded until all checks have been completed.
We apologise if your application takes longer to consider. This may be because we need further information from you or additional checks are needed before a payment can be made. This will most likely be as a result of a discrepancy between our Council Tax records and the information you have provided on your application form, or discrepancies in the bank details have provided and taxpayer details held by us.
If you have an outstanding application, please remain patient. A member of our team will be in contact if further information is needed from you. If successful, a payment will be sent as soon as possible.
Please do not attempt to submit repeat applications or contact us to follow up on your request. Doing so requires us to redirect limited resources to answer calls and individual enquiries, slowing our ability to check and process payments to everyone as quickly as possible.
More advice about the support available to businesses can be found on the following pages:
- The Government's £150 Energy Rebate guidance
- Gov.uk website
- Council Tax Support
- Local Assistance Scheme
- Discretionary Housing Payments
- Debt advice
The Council is committed to meeting its data protection obligations and handling your information securely. You should make sure you read and understand the Council privacy notice, which sets out what you need to know about how Doncaster Council will use your information in the course of our work.