Gypsies and Travellers - faqs

Frequently asked questions relating to gypsies and travellers.

What are the responsibilities of the Gypsy Liaison Service?

We have the responsibility for dealing with unauthorised encampments and stray horses. To report an unauthorised encampment or stray horses, please complete the following online form: 

St Leger Homes has a Gypsy Liaison Service which is responsible for managing and maintaining the authorities gypsies and travellers sites. For further information please visit the link to the specific Housing Options page on:

Are gypsies and travellers protected under race discrimination laws?

Yes - gypsies and travellers are protected from discrimination by the Race Relations Act 1976 and the Human Rights Act 1998, together with all ethnic groups who have a particular culture, language and values.

Illegal encampments

Illegal encampment on council land:

  • Liaison team will visit and complete a health assessment.
  • Enforcement will be decided on an individual basis dependant on circumstances.
  • Enforcement will be taken to evict the illegal encampment by use of court procedures. Court procedures take between 3 - 4 days.
  • Evictions will be carried out with the cooperation of the Police.

Illegal encampments on private land:

  • Liaison team will only take action if asked for in writing by the land owner.
  • Advice will be given on other options to the land owner.
  • If the liaison team take court action on behalf of the land owner, the land owner will be charged the court fees.

Private illegal sites:

  • Private illegal sites should be reported to us on 01302 736000.
  • This will then be investigated by the planning team and enforcement taken if necessary.

What is the Ethnic Minorities and Travellers Achievement Service?

In April 2005, the Multicultural Education Centre and Traveller Service were merged to form a new service; the Ethnic Minority and Traveller Achievement Service (EMTAS).

The service works with schools, families and other agencies to raise the attainment of Ethnic Minority and Traveller pupils. 

It also provides support for pupils with English as an additional language, refugee, asylum seeker and Traveller pupils. Advice, consultation, training and resources are available to schools and other agencies.

Raising the attainment of ethnic minority pupils, support for pupils with English as an additional language, refugees and asylum seekers. Services to schools including training, resources, advice and consultation.

What do EMTAS provide for pupils from travellers’ communities?

The service is able to offer a wide range of support to schools and families. Support may include:

  • Liaison with schools, parents, outside agencies and other Traveller Education Services.
  • Delivery of training for schools and other agencies.
  • Resources and displays for use in promoting cultural awareness.
  • Direct teaching of pupils, including assessment, target setting and provision of support packages
  • Advice to schools on the content of Distance Learning Packs.
  • Advice to schools and parents
  • Assistance to meet Department for Children, Schools and Families' (DCSF) targets for Traveller pupils
  • Initiatives to promote educational provision for children from Traveller communities.

How do I contact EMTAS?

The Ethnic Minorities and Travellers Achievement Service can be contacted via:

More information:

Last updated: 07 June 2018 11:46:38