Your records - how we keep them

Information in relation to Children and Young People's Service and Adults and Communities

This information applies to people who currently receive or have previously received social care services. Here you will find a summary of how the council complies with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 2018 and the General Data Protection Regulation; however this is not a full statement of the law. If you have any enquiries relating to the content of this web page or about accessing social care records, please contact the Data Protection Officer - 

About Your Records

Why do we keep records?

Doncaster Council needs to keeps accurate details about the work we do and the people that use our services. This helps provide as efficient a service as possible, ensures we comply with the law, and means we can be held accountable for what we do.

What we record

When a person becomes known to adult or children social care services (including those offered by the Doncaster Children's Services Trust), you will be asked for information about your situation and this will be kept in your 'file'. This may be kept partly on computer and partly as a paper record. It may contain some of the following:

  • details of discussions about the help you need, added as and when they happen
  • the agreed plans for your care
  • details of services that we arrange for you
  • regular reviews of your needs
  • Copies of letters from or to you
  • records of phone calls from or to you
  • Information received from others, such as your doctor etc
  • details of your next of kin
  • details of any payments you make towards the cost of your care
  • details of your ethnic origin should it be relevant for when you meet with us, for example should you need an interpreter

What do we use the information for?

The information about you and your situation is used specifically to help us give you the support you need. We will also use the information we gather to provide statistics that help us plan our services, and to provide the Government with a report of our performance.

How long do we keep the information?

All information is kept in line with Retention Guidelines produced by the Records Management Society.

It should be noted that although some records are held in line with statutory retention periods, records created before the legislation was passed will not have been retained for the required period stated in any such legislation.

Who will we share the information with?

In order to provide you with the services you need, we may need to give the details about you and your situation to another organisation or department within the council. However, we might need your consent to do this and this will be explained at the initial gathering of your information, for example:

  • we only give staff in another organisation/department as much information as they need in order to provide an effective service for you
  • people getting information about you from us can only use it for the specific purpose we have agreed with them, and their staff are bound by the Data Protection Act and the same rules of confidentiality as our staff
  • we will record what information has been given to other organisations/departments, and when it was done

Gaining your consent

When we gather your information we will ask you to allow us to give details from your records to any relevant organisation, this will be done either verbally or you will be asked to sign a form to confirm your consent. Under the Data Protection Act there will be some information that we will gather from you that is classed as sensitive that we cannot give to other organisations without your explicit consent. This may include information about your health, your racial or ethnic background and your religious beliefs. If we think we may need to pass on sensitive personal information, we will discuss this with you at the time you complete the form. You will be able to tell us if you do not want any of that information to be passed on to anyone else. We will respect your wishes, although, if we think that by passing the information will result in your receiving a better service, we will discuss this with you.

People who aren't able to give their consent

There are some people who lack the mental capacity to consent to sharing information – for example, because they have severe learning disabilities or they are suffering from dementia.  The Mental Capacity Act 2005 has brought in new rules that govern access to information about a person who lacks the capacity to make specific decisions and in particular, lacks capacity to allow information about them to be disclosed. For more information please see the Mental Capacity Act 2005 downloadable document, the guidance is at chapter 16.

Only those individuals who have:

  • a valid and registered Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare; or is
  • a person named as a Deputy for Health and Welfare on a Court of Protection Order

will be able to give consent on behalf of an individual who lacks capacity and consideration of the person’s best interest will be taken in to consideration before the release of any information.

Refusing to give consent

You can refuse to allow us to give your information to another organisation. However, if you decide not to give your consent, this may impact on the services we are able to provide you.  There is some information that we are obliged under certain circumstances to pass on even if you have not given your consent – for example, information that is required by the courts, relates to a crime, or is needed by the police to investigate a crime or to prosecute and under the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, for further information on these safeguards please see the downloadable document.

For information on how to view your records, see the following page: How to view your records

 For further information, please contact us:

Last updated: 05 June 2018 11:43:36