The FARRRS project will provide a new highway from the M18 at junction three to Robin Hood airport with links into Rossington village and the iPort development.
The project will:
- improve access to Rossington and Finningley
- cater for new developments and growth at the airport
- provide an alternative route into Doncaster from the south, avoiding Bawtry Road
Existing accesses and Public Rights of Way will be retained and the scheme will include landscaping and improvements to the environment.
- planning permission was granted in June 2012
- construction of the new road began in October 2013
- financial and land agreements were completed in 2013 to allow the main construction works to start
The road will become operational in early 2016.
The first phase of the project is being funded by:
- the Government’s Regional Growth Fund and Growing Places Fund
- private sector developer contributions
- Doncaster Council corporate resources
- the Sheffield City Region Transport Strategy (the Local Transport Plan)
This will provide sufficient funding to allow for construction up to the A638 at Parrot’s Corner.
A funding strategy is being developed to complete the final phase from the A638 to the airport access at Hurst Lane and will be subject to a separate delivery process which has now commenced.
In February 2015, the first beams were lifted into place over the East Coast main line. A 1,000 tonne crane carried out the night time lifts which help form the 42metre span bridge.
To watch how this major engineering feat took place view the video at the bottom of the page.
In December 2014 the council approved a preferred route which will see FARRRS extended from Bawtry Road to Hurst Lane where it will meet up with the existing airport access road. Work will now start on completing surveys, final designs and the full business case.
Subject to approval, construction will follow on from the first phase of FARRRS is due to be complete and open.
For the latest information on the scheme please see the documents to the right of this page. These include a regular newsletter prepared by the council and the main contractor Carillion.
- FARRRS Driving Doncaster forward leaflet
- Download (1.14MB)
- FARRRS Meet the buyer brochure
- Download (1.74MB)
- FARRRS Phase 1 Route
- Download (5.12MB)
- FARRRS site reference drawing
- Download (1.63MB)
- FARRRS Newsletter1
- Download (316KB)
- FARRRS Newsletter - School Liaison
- Download (740KB)
- FARRRS Newsletter2
- Download (456KB)
- FARRRS newsletter - sustainability
- Download (335KB)
- FARRRS Newsletter 3
- Download (1.93MB)
- Bridge Challenge - Tornedale Infant School
- Download (501KB)
- FARRRS newsletter 4
- Download (3.75MB)